The annual round-up of gossip from Cannes – The Drum
After a week packed with star-studded panels, talks and awards, all washed down with a regular schedule of happy hours and martinis – there’s bound to be some gossip from Cannes Lions 2019?
As Cannes Lions draws back into its cave for another year, The Drum rounds up snippets of gossip from another year on Le Croisette.
- Former boss Sir Martin Sorrell has been compared to Harry Potter nemesis Voldemort within WPP it seems as he was referred to on several occasions by different chiefs as ‘he who shall not be named’ on their beach this week during meetings.
- Which agency founder was so drunk that he had to do an emergency poo in the bushes of the Carlton?
- Which trade body chief filmed a video tour of his ‘love room’ that he was accidentally booked into – which included both a comfortable bed and jacuzzi?
- Which production company closed the paid-for bar at their annual party only to be met with anger from the crowd and leading to one drunk party goer to tip it on its side in response as the baying crowd who still had free drinks tokens demanded more booze be served to them?
- Which agency network had people sleeping on the beach to save money on hotel rooms before their early morning flight?
- Which network agency chief needed directions on Le Croisette from a trade journalist to find his own drinks event on a beach?
- Which trade journalist got her pillow featuring an illustration of Hollywood superstar Jeff Goldblum signed by the legend himself in person?
- Which agency network flew out its procurement team after a cull on awards entires?
- Which major US media company set up a pop-up space near the beach complete with a mini swimming pool.
- Despite all the talk by major conglomerates of stamping it out, single-use plastic was definitely still on evidence in some beach fronts.
- Which trade editor was so hungover during a breakfast meeting with a number of people including DJ Edith Bowman that they were complimented for the brevity of their responses?
- Which consultancy exec was caught belting out the Oscar-winning Disney Classic ‘Let it Go’ on the karaoke at The Drum Arms?
- Which consultancy boss was repeatedly told off by his comms team for refusing to remove a cap he had picked up bearing the logo of one rival Dentsu Aegis throughout the week?
Want to know more about Cannes Lions 2019? You can find a round-up of our Cannes coverage here.
Let’s block ads! (Why?)