Matt Lauer accused of raping NBC colleague; more: Buzz – syracuse.com
Scott Halleran | Getty Images
Matt Lauer reports for the NBC Today show in the Olympic Park ahead of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics on February 5, 2014 in Sochi, Russia.
Matt Lauer accused of raping NBC colleague
Former “Today” show host Matt Lauer is accused of raping an NBC colleague during the 2014 Sochi Olympics, according to a new book from journalist Ronan Farrow. Variety reports it obtained an advanced copy of “Catch and Kill,” scheduled to hit bookstores next week, identifying a woman accusing Lauer of anally raping her in a Russia hotel room. NBC said it fired Lauer on Nov. 29, 2017, after a female staffer accused him of inappropriate sexual behavior, but did not identify her. The book names the accuser as former NBC News employee Brooke Nevils and details more of the allegations against Lauer that ended his TV career.
“Matt Lauer’s conduct was appalling, horrific and reprehensible, as we said at the time,” NBC said in a new statement Tuesday. “That’s why he was fired within 24 hours of us first learning of the complaint. Our hearts break again for our colleague.”
NBC reports Lauer issued a statement through his lawyer Wednesday characterizing his relationship with Nevils as “completely consensual.”
“In a new book, it is alleged that an extramarital, but consensual, sexual encounter I have previously admitted having, was in fact an assault,” Lauer said. “It is categorically false, ignores the facts, and defies common sense… There was absolutely nothing aggressive about that encounter.”
Chance the Rapper carpool karaoke
Chance the Rapper teamed up with James Corden for a new “Carpool Karaoke.” The rapper tells “The Late Late Show” host about his high-profile friends, including President Barack Obama and Beyonce/Jay-Z, but admits he doesn’t have their personal numbers — he has to call an assistant that connects them. “I never know which one is calling when I get that call back number,” Chance said with a laugh.”I feel if I did that, people would go, ‘He doesn’t need to call me back. I’ve got the only answer I needed, he’s dead to me,'” Corden joked.
- The Eagles announce 2020 tour dates (RS)
- Todd, Julie Chrisley cleared of $2M tax evasion charge (ET)
- ‘Spirit’ movie in works as spinoff of Netflix horse series (SF)
- Lil Kim performs career-spanning hits at Hip-Hop Awards (RS)
- Record Store Day Black Friday releases include DMB, Cardi B (BB)
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized for tonsillitis (E!)
- Daveed Diggs to play Sebastian in ‘The Little Mermaid’ (SF)
- City Girls celebrate JT’s release from prison with new song (RS)
- Corey Feldman: No ‘Goonies’ sequel happening (TMZ)
- Drake responds to father: ‘Every bar I ever spit was truth’ (ET)
- Fatboy Slim mixes Greta Thunberg with ‘Right Here, Right Now’ (BB)
- ‘John Wick’ spinoff film ‘The Ballerina’ gets director (SF)
- Liz Phair returns with first new song in 5 years (RS)
Let’s block ads! (Why?)